Staffordshire University MPhil/PhD in Economics: Distance Learning Mode
|Scholarship administrator:||Institut za razvoj obrazovanja|
|Field of study:||Social Sciences|
|Place of study:||United Kingdom|
THE OPEN SOCIETY FOUNDATION and STAFFORDSHIRE UNIVERSITY BUSINESS SCHOOL (UK)
SCHOLARSHIPS FOR MPhil/PhD IN ECONOMICS
BY DISTANCE LEARNING MODE
The Open Society Foundation and Staffordshire University Business School jointly invite applications from university graduates with outstanding academic qualifications for five scholarships on the MPhil/PhD in Economics programme by Distance Learning mode.
- Be nationals of and normally resident in one of the following: Albania, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Croatia, Republic of Kosovo, the Republic of Macedonia or the Republic of Montenegro during the academic year in which they apply for the award; applicants who are temporarily out of the country at the time of application (for a total period of less than 3 consecutive months) may be treated as being resident
- Hold a first degree (the equivalent of a BA degree) with good grades in economics or related disciplines
- Hold a teaching or research position, as an assistant, a junior lecturer or researcher, at a higher education, research or public sector institution in one of the countries in the scheme
- Be able to demonstrate their knowledge of English by passing a TOEFL (ITP) or IELTS test at an appropriate level by the time interviews are held for these scholarships, or by other means (such as having completed an academic programme in English at another institution, or having obtained a satisfactory mark in one of the above-mentioned tests at a date no earlier than January 2009)
- Return to their home countries at the end of their scholarship period
Areas of study and selection criteria
Candidates may apply to undertake research in any area of theoretical or applied economics.
Candidates will be selected on the basis of:
- their potential to complete a PhD in economics successfully
- the availability of relevant supervisory capacity in their chosen areas of research both at Staffordshire University and their home institution.
This year, applications are invited in the following areas:
- Corporate governance and enterprise performance
- Foreign direct investment and its impacts
- Monetary policy and the financial sector
- International and European economics
- International trade, competitiveness and economic development
- Economic consequences of national and ethnic conflicts
- Economics of small and medium sized firms and SME policy
- Economics of purchasing and supply chain
Each scholarship provides academic tuition fees at Staffordshire University, a stipend to cover living costs (for one person only), and return air travel from the scholar’s home country.
The scholarship lasts for four years. Each year, the scholars will spend 3-4 months at Staffordshire University and the remainder at their home institution. On completion of the scholarship, scholars are expected to return to their home country to resume their work there.
Application forms and deadline
Applications forms and guidance notes for applicants are available below.
Completed applications should be submitted by post or in person to the Institute for the Development of Education and must reach the address below by 25 January 2010 at the latest.
For further information, please contact the Open Society Institute scholarships administration centre in Croatia at the address below:
Application form and guidance notes (112 kb)
Previous year's competition
Staffordshire University MPhil/PhD in Economics: Distance Learning Mode (2009)
Staffordshire University MPhil/PhD in Economics: Distance Learning Mode (2008)
Staffordshire University MPhil/PhD in Economics: Distance Learning Mode (2007)
Staffordshire University MPhil/PhD in Economics: Distance Learning Mode (2006)