Staffordshire University MPhil/PhD in Economics: Distance Learning Mode
Rok za prijavu: 24.01.2011.
|Kontakt institucija:||Institut za razvoj obrazovanja|
|Razina studija:||poslijediplomski studij|
|Područje studija:||društvene znanosti|
|Mjesto studija:||Ujedinjeno Kraljevstvo|
THE OPEN SOCIETY FOUNDATIONS and STAFFORDSHIRE UNIVERSITY
SCHOLARSHIPS FOR MPhil/PhD IN ECONOMICS BY DISTANCE LEARNING MODE 2011-2012
The Open Society Foundations and Staffordshire University Business School jointly invite applications from university graduates with outstanding academic qualifications for five scholarships on the MPhil/PhD in Economics programme by Distance Learning mode.
- Be nationals of and normally resident in one of the following: Albania, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Croatia, Republic of Kosovo, the Republic of Macedonia or the Republic of Montenegro during the academic year in which they apply for the award; applicants who are temporarily out of the country at the time of application (for a total period of less than 3 consecutive months) may be treated as being resident;
- Hold a first degree (the equivalent of a BA degree) with good grades in economics or related disciplines;
- Hold a teaching or research position, as an assistant, a junior lecturer or researcher, at a higher education, research or public sector institution in one of the countries in the scheme;
- Be able to demonstrate their knowledge of English by passing a TOEFL (ITP) or IELTS test at an appropriate level by the time interviews are held for these scholarships, or by other means (such as having completed an academic programme in English at another institution, or having obtained a satisfactory mark in one of the above-mentioned tests at a date no earlier than January 2010);
- Return to their home countries at the end of their scholarship period.
Areas of study and selection criteria
Candidates may apply to undertake research in any area of theoretical or applied economics. Candidates will be selected on the basis of: (a) their potential to complete a PhD in economics successfully, and (b) the availability of relevant supervisory capacity in their chosen areas of research both at Staffordshire University and their home institution.
This year, applications are invited in the following areas:
- Monetary policy and the financial sector
- European economics
- International trade, competitiveness and economic development
- Economic consequences of national and ethnic conflicts
- Economics of small and medium sized firms and SME policy
Each scholarship provides academic tuition fees at Staffordshire University, a stipend to cover living costs (for one person only), and return air travel from the scholar’s home country.
The scholarship lasts up to four years. Each year, the scholars will spend 3-4 months at Staffordshire University and the remainder at their home institution. On completion of the scholarship, scholars are expected to return to their home country to resume their work there.
Application forms and deadline
Applications forms and guidance notes for applicants are available below. Completed applications should be submitted by post or in person to the Institute for the Development of Education and must reach the address below by 24 January 2011 at 5 P.M. at the latest. Applicants are required to submit two copies of the application package: one original and one photocopy of the entire application package.
Applications will be considered by a selection committee who will prepare a short list of applicants. Short-listed candidates will be notified by the second week of March 2011 and invited to take an English language test. The language tests will be conducted in the second half of March 2011 at the local Educational Advising Center offices. Candidates who pass the English language test will be invited for interviews which will be arranged in late April/early May 2011.
The final decision as to which applicants will be offered scholarships will be made after the completion of all interviews. It is expected that applicants will be informed of the final decision by the end of May 2011. Successful applicants will be required to arrive in Stoke on Trent in mid-August. (Candidates required to enrol on preliminary courses would be expected to arrive in early August).
Further Information about Staffordshire University
Further information on Staffordshire University and the Business School may be obtained by visiting the University's Web Site at http://www.staffs.ac.uk/ and the Business School's homepage at http://www.staffs.ac.uk/faculties/business/
Staffordshire University MPhil/PhD in Economics: Distance Learning Mode (2010)
Staffordshire University MPhil/PhD in Economics: Distance Learning Mode (2009)
Staffordshire University MPhil/PhD in Economics: Distance Learning Mode (2008)
Staffordshire University MPhil/PhD in Economics: Distance Learning Mode (2007)
Staffordshire University MPhil/PhD in Economics: Distance Learning Mode (2006)